Alouettes QB Vernon Adams Jr ranks Charleston Hughes as best DE in the CFL
Last week, Montreal quarterback Vernon Adams Jr made headlines by releasing his rankings of the top 10 quarterbacks in the CFL on the Rod Pedersen Show. Now pandemic boredom has got to him again and the electric passer took to Twitter to rank his top 15 CFL defensive ends on Thursday, with veteran Rider Charleston Hughes topping the list.
Here are Big Play VA’s full rankings:
15. Odell Willis – Still has Energy & Experience!
14. Julian Howsare – Hard worker & does his job. Will get better!
13. Jonathon Newsome – Baller, just needs real opportunity!
12. Jackson Jeffcoat – Good player!
11. Chris Casher – Just getting started!
10. Kwaku Boateng – Big guy, definitely feel his pressure!
9. J.R Tavaii – Hustles to ball and makes the play!
8. Mike Moore – Versatile, can play everywhere in DL!
7. Cordarro Law – Does his job + more!
6. Avery Ellis – Impact player in OTT!
5. Shawn Lemon – Didn’t sack me but must respect the film!
4. AC Leonard – Underrated
3. Ja’Gared Davis – Another game changer. High motor
2. Willie Jefferson – Must game plan around this dude. A BEAST!
1. Charleston Hughes – Savvy vet & still most productive.
Intentionally absent from the list is Alouette John Bowman, with Adams deciding to exclude teammates from consideration. He still believes the veteran is a top three pass rusher though.
The top ranked Hughes notched a league-best 16 quarterback takedowns as a 36-year old and has topped the league in sacks five times during his career: 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. He felt he was snubbed for the West Division Most Outstanding Defensive Player award, which went to Adams’ number two player Willie Jefferson.
Without any other league news to speak of, this could be a regular project for Adams and fans look forward to his next rankings.
More on this: 3 stories