Redblacks looking to avoid becoming lowest-scoring offence of all-time
The Ottawa Redblacks have some work to do if they hope to avoid making history (for a very bad reason).
The Redblacks have scored 222 points in 13 games this season, a 17-point average that is by far the lowest in the league. No other team in the CFL is averaging fewer than 20 points per game with Winnipeg (30.2 per game) averaging the most.
Ottawa already holds the CFL record for fewest points scored in a season since 1958, which they’ve achieved twice over.
The 1988 Ottawa Rough Riders and 2014 Ottawa Redblacks share the record for fewest points scored over the course of an 18-game season at 278 (15.4 per game). Both of those teams finished the season 2-16.
The 2006 and 2003 Hamilton Tiger-Cats are next on the list with 16.2 and 16.3 points scored per game, respectively. The Ticats finished 4-14 in 2006 and 1-17 in 2003.
The 2019 Ottawa Redblacks need to score more than 56 points in their final five games to avoid tying or breaking their own dubious record. The club’s remaining games are as follows: vs. Edmonton; at Toronto; at Hamilton; at Toronto; vs. Hamilton.
Ottawa plans to play Dominique Davis and Jonathon Jennings by committee this week, though some feel the club should give third-string pivot Will Arndt a chance to start.
Five games. 56 points. Let’s see if the Redblacks can make it happen.
More on this: 982 stories
- Zach Collaros takes all first-team reps at Winnipeg Blue Bombers practice
- EVANS AND SUTTON NAMED CFL TOP PERFORMERS FOR WEEK 19
- Stamps sign Dexter McCoil to practice roster
- The Weekly Say: Should the Bombers start Collaros?
- Harris Ready To Return To Action
- BEGELTON HONOURED AGAIN BY CFL
- Calgary Stampeders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers 10/25/19
- Saskatchewan Roughriders sign Cody Fajardo to two-year contract extension
- Eskimos quarterback Harris back in the saddle for home stretch
- Quarterback Cody Fajardo signs contract extension with Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Playoff Scenarios: Stamps can clinch home playoff game
- Ticats taking it slow with receiver Luke Tasker because they can
- Mitchell, Stamps not taking anything for granted down the stretch
- CFL TV viewers voted: #UnwatchaBowl really was unwatchable
- BOMBSHELLS: Will McGuire be next man up if Streveler can't go in rematch with Stampeders?
- Bombers are now Grey Cup long shots after loss in Calgary and O'Shea's on the hot seat
- MAJOR PROBLEM: These Redblacks can't score touchdowns
- Calgary Stampeders down Blue Winnipeg Bombers in divisional battle
- Banks powers Tiger-Cats to record 13th win with defeat of Redblacks
- Tiger-Cats defeat Redblacks to register club-record 13th victory
- TICATS SET FRANCHISE RECORD FOR MOST WINS IN ONE SEASON WITH 13
- Irresponsibility rears head in Bombers' loss to Stampeders (& eight other thoughts)
- Bo Levi Mitchell, Calgary Stampeders outlast Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Bombers battle hard but can't find way to upend Stampeders in Calgary shootout
- Bombers' O'Shea sticks to word and uses McGuire over Collaros after Streveler goes down