Montreal Alouettes set to start Matt Shiltz at quarterback against BC Lions
MONTREAL — Matt Shiltz will replace the suspended Vernon Adams Jr. as starting quarterback for the Montreal Alouettes in the team's next game.
Shiltz gets the call on Saturday in B.C., against the Lions (3-10) after Adams was given a one-game suspension for a helmet-swinging incident during a win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last weekend.
"I'm just going to go out there and do everything I can to move the ball down the field, protect the field and hopefully come out on top," Shiltz said.
Adams has led the surging Als (7-5) to four wins in their past five games, including a 24-point comeback in Montreal's 38-37 victory over Winnipeg.
Adams said on Tuesday he would not appeal the suspension, handed down for what the CFL called a "dangerous and reckless act" in which the Alouettes quarterback swung a helmet at Blue Bombers linebacker Adam Bighill.
Adams said he messaged Bighill to apologize for the incident after the game.
"He accepted my apology and he understands the competition and everything. At this point, it's water under the bridge," said Adams, who was named the CFL's top performer for Week 15. "We're competitors. When I see him again, we're going to compete and have a good time."
Adams said he also apologized to his own team.
"It was a big mistake on his part," Als head coach Khari Jones said. "I think he knows that, he realizes it. It kind of put us as a team in a precarious spot, but we'll be OK. These guys rally together really well. I have all the faith in the world in Matt and I'm excited to see him get out there and play."
Saturday's game will be Shiltz's first start of the season and second of his career. He is 11-for-16 passing for 107 yards this season in two games in relief roles.
The 26-year-old Butler graduate joined the Alouettes in 2017.
More on this: 982 stories
- Zach Collaros takes all first-team reps at Winnipeg Blue Bombers practice
- EVANS AND SUTTON NAMED CFL TOP PERFORMERS FOR WEEK 19
- Stamps sign Dexter McCoil to practice roster
- The Weekly Say: Should the Bombers start Collaros?
- Harris Ready To Return To Action
- BEGELTON HONOURED AGAIN BY CFL
- Calgary Stampeders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers 10/25/19
- Saskatchewan Roughriders sign Cody Fajardo to two-year contract extension
- Eskimos quarterback Harris back in the saddle for home stretch
- Quarterback Cody Fajardo signs contract extension with Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Playoff Scenarios: Stamps can clinch home playoff game
- Ticats taking it slow with receiver Luke Tasker because they can
- Mitchell, Stamps not taking anything for granted down the stretch
- CFL TV viewers voted: #UnwatchaBowl really was unwatchable
- BOMBSHELLS: Will McGuire be next man up if Streveler can't go in rematch with Stampeders?
- Bombers are now Grey Cup long shots after loss in Calgary and O'Shea's on the hot seat
- MAJOR PROBLEM: These Redblacks can't score touchdowns
- Calgary Stampeders down Blue Winnipeg Bombers in divisional battle
- Banks powers Tiger-Cats to record 13th win with defeat of Redblacks
- Tiger-Cats defeat Redblacks to register club-record 13th victory
- TICATS SET FRANCHISE RECORD FOR MOST WINS IN ONE SEASON WITH 13
- Irresponsibility rears head in Bombers' loss to Stampeders (& eight other thoughts)
- Bo Levi Mitchell, Calgary Stampeders outlast Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Bombers battle hard but can't find way to upend Stampeders in Calgary shootout
- Bombers' O'Shea sticks to word and uses McGuire over Collaros after Streveler goes down