CFL Simulation: Bombers-Ticats matchup a sign of things to come?
TORONTO — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers will go head-to-head for the second time this year, and according to the CFL Simulation, it could be an early showing of the 107th Grey Cup.
With their victory over the Eskimos in Week 15, the Tiger-Cats have all but wrapped up the East, winning the division over 96 percent of the time.
Winnipeg also clinched a playoff berth. They won the West Division 65 percent of the time and also have 90 percent odds to host a playoff game.
The simulation determined these two teams to be the most likely to go up against one another for the championship, with them squaring off nearly half the time.
Calgary and Montreal continue to improve their odds with victories in Week 15. The Stamps are featured in one of the most likely Grey Cup matchups while the Als are in three.
Both the Toronto Argonauts and Ottawa REDBLACKS are both out of the running for the East crown. Toronto still has a brief glimpse of hope to make the playoffs in the sim, however, Ottawa has under 0.01 percent to make it.
The model considers the following:
The model calculates each team’s probability of victory in each remaining game. It then simulates 10,000 replications of the remaining regular-season schedule and resulting playoff bracket (including the possibility of a playoff crossover team). For each replication, the model keeps track of a number of performance metrics (for example, which teams earned home playoff games, which teams appeared in the Grey Cup, etc.).
For instance, if Winnipeg won the Grey Cup in 1,990 of the 10,000 replications, then its Grey Cup victory probability would be 1,990/10,000 = 19.90%.
The model is updated weekly based on the results of games played that week.
Here’s a look at how all the teams stack up:
More on this: 982 stories
- Zach Collaros takes all first-team reps at Winnipeg Blue Bombers practice
- EVANS AND SUTTON NAMED CFL TOP PERFORMERS FOR WEEK 19
- Stamps sign Dexter McCoil to practice roster
- The Weekly Say: Should the Bombers start Collaros?
- Harris Ready To Return To Action
- BEGELTON HONOURED AGAIN BY CFL
- Calgary Stampeders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers 10/25/19
- Saskatchewan Roughriders sign Cody Fajardo to two-year contract extension
- Eskimos quarterback Harris back in the saddle for home stretch
- Quarterback Cody Fajardo signs contract extension with Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Playoff Scenarios: Stamps can clinch home playoff game
- Ticats taking it slow with receiver Luke Tasker because they can
- Mitchell, Stamps not taking anything for granted down the stretch
- CFL TV viewers voted: #UnwatchaBowl really was unwatchable
- BOMBSHELLS: Will McGuire be next man up if Streveler can't go in rematch with Stampeders?
- Bombers are now Grey Cup long shots after loss in Calgary and O'Shea's on the hot seat
- MAJOR PROBLEM: These Redblacks can't score touchdowns
- Calgary Stampeders down Blue Winnipeg Bombers in divisional battle
- Banks powers Tiger-Cats to record 13th win with defeat of Redblacks
- Tiger-Cats defeat Redblacks to register club-record 13th victory
- TICATS SET FRANCHISE RECORD FOR MOST WINS IN ONE SEASON WITH 13
- Irresponsibility rears head in Bombers' loss to Stampeders (& eight other thoughts)
- Bo Levi Mitchell, Calgary Stampeders outlast Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Bombers battle hard but can't find way to upend Stampeders in Calgary shootout
- Bombers' O'Shea sticks to word and uses McGuire over Collaros after Streveler goes down