Red Deer Roundup: On poaching from AFL, officiating improvements, Dave Grohl's awesomeness
It looks like we’ve made it an entire week without an all-out war on Twitter! We didn’t make it out of the week without *someone* getting upset though…
• Kevin Guy, coach and GM of the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League, is annoyed that the CFL poaches players from the AFL. Now he knows how CFL fans feel when players jet to the NFL.
• The Canadian Football League is very serious about improving its officiating.
THREE CFL officials were terminated last season and five were sent back to CIS for more conditioning. CFL says committed to being better.— Jeff Hamilton (@jeffkhamilton) April 13, 2016
Correct me if I’m wrong, but there will be eight new refs that haven’t dealt with the new rules this upcoming season. I can’t imagine there is much depth as far as football officials in Canada go either. Regardless, it *is* great to see that the CFL is committed to improving.
• The Edmonton Eskimos have extended Mike Reilly through the 2018 season. He is now one of the highest paid players in the league and I challenge you to find someone in Edmonton that doesn’t think he’s worth it.
• Tommy Condell has resigned as Hamilton’s offensive coordinator because of family reasons. Many think that the Tiger-Cat offense won’t struggle after Condell’s departure but a brand new offense and Zach Collaros returning after a long-term injury could mean a slow start to the season. That being said, Kent Austin knows a thing or two about running an offense. [Shameless plug: The Rouge, White and Blue CFL podcast speculated a bit about Condell’s retirement this week… -- Ed.]
• The Tiger-Cats were able to re-sign Jake Olson and Cleshawn Page..
• Isn’t Dave Grohl the coolest guy in rock and roll? He lent Axl Rose his “rock throne” so the show could go on despite a broken foot.
• We’re less than a month away from the CFL revealing the new Adidas uniforms.
Bomber fans call that “royal” blue. I call it “baby” blue.
• While Winnipeg fans are expected to like the new uniforms, Wally Buono says Lions fans may not be too fond of their new jerseys.
• Long-time Tiger-Cat Peter Dyakowski has signed an extension to stay in the Hammer through 2017. I bet you’re not as smart as he is.
• Rider Nation will be happy to know than Darian Durant looked ready to go at Saskatchewan’s mini-camp in Florida last week. The 33-year old even said he’d like to play 10 more years!
• Winnipeg continues to give Paul LaPolice more toys to play with as training camp looms: Receivers Larry Pinkard, Ernest Smith and Jerrel Jernigan from the New York Giants are off to Winterpeg. Do they *know* how cold it gets? Winnipeg could be starting four international receivers in 2016 with three of them coming in at under 5’8”.
• The entire coaching staff for the Toronto Argonauts is here.
• The 103rd Grey Cup put Winnipeg way into the black in 2015. Brazilian Ty, my wife and I were stopped by a local on the streets of Winnipeg and thanked for spending so much money on merchandise. You’re welcome, Winnipeg.
• It looks like Cameron Wake was back in Vancouver for a visit.
The birthplace of Cameron Wake... pic.twitter.com/e9OovVln5Q— Mr. Wake (@Kold91) April 10, 2016
Wake last played with the Lions in 2008 when he had 23 sacks. He’s been in Miami ever since.
• Could Cordarro Law be returning to Calgary?
One notable NFL move last month was San Diego Chargers deciding not to tender former Stamps DE Cordarro Law as exclusive rights FA. #CFL— Scott Mitchell (@ScottMitchellPM) April 13, 2016
Law had 14 sacks with the Stamps in 2013.
• Tanner Marsh has tried out for four CFL teams after the Major League Football League announced they would cease operations until next year. He seems to be stuck in quarterback purgatory.
Now let me go watch “The Force Awakens” on Blu-ray one more time. How many times can I watch it before football is back? I’m betting a lot.
– written by Travis Currah