Red Deer Roundup: Written for that St. Riders Day hangover
Let me start off by letting you know that some things in this week’s Roundup may not make much sense. Don’t blame me, though: Blame St. Paddy’s Day for falling on a Thursday!
Or, as I like to call it, St. Riders Day:
Staying with the St. Patrick’s Day theme, props need to be given to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Twitter account.
Can you blame the kid after last season?
• Don’t feel like a traitor, “self.CFL”! I’m a Rider fan with Eskimos season tickets. I’d be interested to know how many “away” fans have season tickets for their current “home team”.
• The March Madness NCAA Tournament is underway! I think my bracket was busted about forty-five minutes in…
• Michael Couture from Simon Fraser University had a terrifying performance at the CFL Combine last week. Remind me not to rush the quarterback he’s protecting.
• R.I.P. Caesar Belser and Garry Lefebvre. Lefebvre won the Grey Cup with Montreal in 1970 and with Edmonton in 1975.
• The Jacksonville Jaguars worked out Riders O-lineman Xavier Fulton this week. Interesting.
• Ticket details have been released for the new stadium in Regina. That stadium looks *slick*.
• Jim Popp said this week that the Montreal Alouettes have the best receiving core in the CFL. With SJ Green, Duron Carter and Kenny Stafford aboard, he may actually be right.
• Here are some early details on the 2016 CFL Upper Deck cards. Tell me that retro Als card isn’t awesome!
• It’s hard not to love a guy like Bo Levi Mitchell. I don’t think the CFL could ask for a better goodwill ambassador.
• Bo will be happy to see two offensive linemen added in Cowtown.
• Fans in Winnipeg, Hamilton and Saskatchewan are anxiously waiting to see how healthy their quarterbacks are. Drew Willy is healthy, Darian Durant looks nimble, and Zach Collaros says he’s progressing well. Now let’s keep these guys healthy in 2016.
• Will the Detroit Red Wings make it 25 years in a row in the postseason? They now have the final playoff spot in the East but only lead Philadelphia by one point. I don’t care what sport you’re playing, that’s an impressive streak.
• Speaking of impressive streaks: Over in the NBA, the Golden State Warriors have now won *FIFTY* home games in a row. How is that even a thing?!
Now let’s get on with St. Hangover’s Day...
– written by Travis Currah