Red Deer Roundup: I need some CFL football (but Black Sabbath will have to do...)
Alright, I admit it. I’m getting stir crazy. I need some CFL football. Why can’t there be an All You Can Watch CFL Network? Any investors want to start this up with me?
• I went so crazy I actually recorded another episode of 2 and Out with John Fraser. Check it out here.
• RIP Don Getty. The former Edmonton Eskimo and Premier of Alberta won two Grey Cups in Edmonton and is third all-time in passing yards from a Canadian quarterback.
• Say it ain’t so. After eight years in Saskatchewan, over 5,500 yards receiving, three Grey Cup appearances, two all-star selections, and one Grey Cup Championship Chris Getzlaf trades in his Green & White for Green & Gold. He’ll be welcome back to the Light Side any time.
• March is the month of the CFL Combine! No, not those giant machines that harvest wheat in September, Rider fans. Here is a list of the participants.
• Apparently Calgary doesn’t need a Canadian backup for Jerome Messam anymore. Matt Walter is now a free agent. At only 26 years old, he shouldn’t have a problem finding another job. Is Winnipeg the place?
• I’ll be seeing Black Sabbath for the final time on Wednesday in Edmonton. I first saw them in 2012 when I flew to England to see a reunited Sabbath (without Bill Ward) hit the Download Festival stage. I’m excited for the show but not excited to never see them again.
[Okay, for the obligatory video embed here, we're gonna go with this one. Check out this amazing video. Whoa, the 70s... --Ed.]
• The Argonauts’ secondary will be just a little bit nastier this year with the signing of Jerald Brown. The 7-year veteran won back to back titles with the Als in 2009 and 2010.
• Henoc Muamba doesn’t have a gig yet? Expect him to exhaust all NFL opportunities before signing in Canada. Still, it’s a travesty that Montreal pulled out all the stops to sign him only to release him so they didn’t have to pay him his bonus. Check out this anonymous player’s take on the situation in the CFL.
• It was late last March when the CFL Rule Committee met and proposed the new rules we saw implemented last season. Could there be more changes in 2016? And how do I apply for that job?
• College kids won’t be able to get away with PEDs if they want to get drafted by CFL teams.
• SJ Green and Chip Cox have restructured their contracts to help the Als get under the cap. I’m sure Roughrider fans wish Weston Dressler and John Chick would have done the same.
• Chris Randle has signed an extension to stay with the Blue Bombers for his third season in Winnipeg. The defensive back had 37 tackles, a pick, and a sack in ten games before a season-ending knee injury in 2015.
• Avon Cobourne, one of the league’s great personalities, has signed on as Winnipeg’s running backs coach.
Three months of the off-season down, only three more to go.
– written by Travis Currah