Ready for a bit of a long, strange nostalgia trip? With Os Davis playing hooky – that’s hooky, not hockey – this week, Rouge White & Blue CFL Podcast co-host Joe Pritchard has longtime sports journalist Shawn Heimberger on the show to talk about the American fan’s CFL experience from the 1980s onward.
The result is a wonderfully stream-of-consciousness conversation. Naturally talk of the CFL USA experiment of the 1990s and those awesome Baltimore Stallions arises, but the tête-à-tête also touches on topics such as:
• the defunct Ottawa Rough Riders and great imaginary teams such as Hooterville Hooters and Reeses Peanut Butter Cup State;
• the weirdness of ESPN’s programming in the 1980s;
• the USFL and the concomitant reasons why 80s football fans hated Donald Trump 30+ years before it was fashionable
• oddity of uniform choices across North American sports in the 1990s;
• following the Hamilton Tiger-Cats from south of the border; and
• Corner Gas, which apparently Os (and every other American not in the know) must see.
The Rouge White & Blue CFL Podcast: Podcasting about Canadian football since 1968 (approximately)…